Monday, March 21, 2011

Beef Short Ribs and Sweet Potatoes - Mar 19, 2011


Slow Braised Beef Short Ribs with Mashed Sweet Potatoes

I had picked up these ribs thinking we'd make them over Nick's birthday weekend. We opted to go out for sushi instead, so these were left for a weeknight meal. I consulted a few recipes to get ratios and cooking time down and then just free-styled it. In the past, we've ended up with really tough beef short ribs, so this time around I knew I wanted to use the slow cooker to make sure these got really tender. I seasoned the ribs with Chinese five spice powder and added onions, garlic and broth to the slow cooker. After getting everything set up, I turned the heat to low and went about my day. In about six hours things looked good and smelled even better. I used the last hour or so of cooking time to roast a giant sweet potato. Once the potato was cooked, I mashed it up, adding Chinese five spice and some honey-citrus butter. It was the perfect accompaniment to our tender and tasty ribs.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails