Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Replenishing Sodas - Nov 7, 2010


Soda Fixings

Over the weekend I made a couple of batches of infused simple syrups for soda making. The first is an old favorite from Bon Appetit (although I have yet to find the recipe online), Thyme Pink Peppercorn, which is a great spicy, herbaceous blend including cloves and star anise in addition to those flavors mentioned in the name. I was able to use some thyme from the yard despite a few hard freezes that have left a rather barren landscape outside. For the second, I tried my hand at punching up my standard ginger soda by including toasted coriander and a black cardamom pod along with the chopped fresh ginger. I really like the result. It reminds me a little of Vernors Ginger Ale, which has a unique flavor among store bought ginger ales. The cardamom is subtle, which is what I wanted, but I might add just a little more next time. The coriander brings a nice citrus-y brightness. Infused simple syrups are so much fun. Just add some soda water and you're set. Of course, various spirits can be added too, to make a great cocktail. Cheers!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails