Monday, October 18, 2010

Cardoon Gratin - Oct 18, 2010


Cardoon Gratin

Another (delicious) use for the cardoon from Harmony Valley. I quite enjoyed this vegetable baked in cheese. As usual, I boiled the cardoon first, which is supposed to remove the bitterness. Despite it's reputation, I must say I did not experience any bitterness with this veggie...maybe because I boiled it. Anyway, after boiling I tossed the cardoon pieces into a baking dish with a little salt, pepper, smoked Spanish paprika, pine nuts and olive oil. Next I layered on the cheeses: fresh mozzarella, smoked provolone, and grated Pecorino-Romano. I baked this in a 400 deg oven until the cheese was melted and starting to brown, about 25 minutes. The result was very tasty with the nutty flavor of the cardoon accented by the pine nuts and complimented by the cheese.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails