Friday, May 18, 2012

Brown Basmati and Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette - May 17, 2012



Asparagus always gets used first whenever it arrives in our CSA box, preferably the very same night we receive it.  It's flavor changes rapidly after it's picked because the sugars convert to starches, so it's best if eaten quickly.  The June 2012 issue of Bon Appetit has a nice spread on grain salads, which are a favorite around here at Chez Jess & Nick, and was the inspiration for this dinner.  I didn't use any of their recipes, instead choosing to riff on what I had available to me.

For our version, I sauteed asparagus lightly in olive oil, adding in a big bunch of saute greens right before turning off the heat.  While the rice was cooking, I chopped up the rest of our chives from the previous delivery, two green garlics, and six or eight French Breakfast radishes.  To this, I added the zest of two lemons.  Once the rice finished cooking, I combined my fresh and sauteed ingredients, stirred them into the rice, and dressed with olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and a splash of red wine vinegar.



It turned out pretty well and had great flavor.  My rice, however, was a little mushier than I would have liked, even though I added less water and thoroughly rinsed off the surface starches prior to cooking.  Bon Appetit has a tutorial at the back of the magazine for cooking perfect rice.  Perhaps I'll have to follow it next time.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails