Monday, February 27, 2012

Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar Bacon - Feb 20, 2011



Just as I thought, the March 2012 issue of Bon Appetit has proven to be just the kick in the pants I needed to get cracking in the kitchen. Nick and I started out the week with these twice-baked sweet potatoes. I cut the recipe way back to accomodate just the two of us. I also prepared the bacon a bit differently, choosing to use Rima's brown sugar bacon method rather than the more labor intensive process described in the recipe. Brown sugar bacon simply involves spreading out bacon slices on a cookie sheet and sprinkling them with a light dusting of brown sugar before popping them into a 350 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes (check often so you get the bacon consistency you prefer). I learned this very useful technique from Rima at a dinner club brunch years ago at Jaime's condo, and it works beautifully every time.



I wanted to show off the lovely sweet potatoes we get from our CSA. We have been slowly, but diligently, working through our storage vegetables from the farm and I am happy to report that we are doing a much better job than last year. We still have two winter squash and about 8 to 10 sweet potatoes to get through in the next months, as well as some beets, black and beauty heart radishes, a rutabaga and a turnip. We just signed up to get our farm share again this season, and regular deliveries will begin the first week of May.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails