Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Chicken Nuggets and Oven Fries - January 30, 2012


I swear that I don't just eat junk food, but it does seem that many of my home kitchen projects these days seem to be devoted to creating corn-free versions of such things from scratch. I tell myself though that it isn't junk if you make it home and use "organic" ingredients... right?

I stumbled upon this recipe for chicken nuggets inspired by Chick-Fil-A on Pinterest. (Side note: I am trying to "get" Pinterest but so far it is kind of leaving me cold. Pictures are nice, but I guess I'm a word person too. Sometimes I am as enthralled by a description of something than I am by the visual. But if you want to follow me on Pinterest, I'm here.)

The only variation I made was to use buttermilk instead of regular milk, since I had a partial quart in the fridge that was already past its expiration date. Also, since regular powdered sugar has corn starch, I made sure to use the organic variety from Whole Foods.


The fries I made in the oven while I fried the nuggets on top of the stove. I followed a technique I've seen in a couple places that essentially boils down to this... 

Preheat oven to 450. Peel and cut two large russet potatoes, toss them with a tablespoon or two of olive oil, spread on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, use spatula to turn rearrange, bake for 10-15 minutes more. Then turn the oven OFF but leave the pan in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. This has the effect of drying out the fries so they are more like crispy fries than soggy oven baked faux fries!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails