Friday, February 10, 2012

Pork Sausages with Rutabaga Mash and Sauteed Kale - Feb 10, 2012



I seem to have started a new routine of dropping by Clancey's Meats and Fish on my way home from work at least once a week. It's always inspiring, and makes meal planning quite easy on said evening. This particular night, Nick and I feasted on some of their house made apple-walnut-rosemary pork sausages. I made a couple sides for our meal, including kale and onions sauteed in the pork fat left in the pan after cooking the sausages. The mash I made by boiling a potato and a rutabaga until soft, combining them together in a bowl with a potato ricer, and adding sour cream, salt, and pepper to season. I used the same formula for the potato-celeriac mash we had the previous night and I'm pretty excited about it. Every year we get a varied assortment of root vegetables from our CSA Farm and I struggle finding ways to serve them. I've found that combining an "alternative" root vegetable such as a rutabaga or turnip with the more traditional potato in a mash softens (ha!) the flavor and is a good way to introduce said vegetables to our diets instead of letting them languish in the crisper drawer. The sour cream helps too.  This was really delicious.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails