Thursday, December 10, 2009

Winter Burritos - Dec 9, 2009


Cinnamon-Clove Black Bean Burritos

Continuing the winter theme, I dog-eared this recipe a week or so ago when I was looking through "How to Eat Supper." I think it was the cinnamon and cloves that caught my eye. It's interesting how different recipes stand out at different times of the year. Anyway, I modified a bit, using black beans instead of pinto, and I am very excited about the way I cooked them! The recipe calls for canned beans, but I used dried, so they needed to be cooked prior to starting the rest of the recipe. I found a tip about a no-soak cooking method and gave it a try. It worked like a charm. Even though my beans were older than they should be, they all cooked up perfectly in under 2 hours...no mush, no hard bits. Then I just had to add in some onion, tomatoes, garlic, cinnamon and cloves, plus a little extra water, and let everything simmer and thicken for 15 minutes more. We had our beans wrapped up in flour tortillas with a little sharp cheddar sprinkled on top. Delicious, and very seasonal.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails