Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Herb Salsa - September 11, 2012

After our brief vacation to Puerto Rico last weekend, we returned home to find that the mid-Atlantic area's months long summer heat wave had finally broken and a hint of fall was in the air. That has inspired me to do more meal planning and less flying-by-the-seat-of-my-plants scrambling. It has also made heavier, meat centric dishes much more appealing. This dish was a nice transition to the fall season because while it fit that bill, it also utilized the grill which was extremely pleasant on an evening when then temperatures hovered in the low 70s - especially after what felt like an endless stretch of upper 90s and high humidity on top of that.


This recipe for grilled pork tenderloin with herb salsa came from this month's issue of Food & Wine magazine, which we have been getting for a few months now as a free bonus after I bought a new KitchenAid mixer. I made a couple modifications, starting with the reality that the flat leaf parsley plant has given up for the summer and the curly leaf plant is still going strong, so I used that. Also, I couldn't find any dried currants that didn't have suspicious "vegetable oil" in the ingredient list, so I substituted my tried and true Thompson raisins from Trader Joe's.

The pork came from one of the local farmers that sells at our closest little farmer's market. It was so much darker in color than the supermarket pork we are used to that when I unwrapped it I actually did a double check of the wrapper to make sure I hadn't accidentally bought beef.

The dish was tasty, but not particularly exciting. Come to think of it, that is how I would describe every recipe from Food & Wine we've tried. Don't think they are going to convert us to paid subscribers once the free year is up...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails