Friday, June 01, 2012

Hartman Garden - June 1, 2012

I can't believe I haven't posted a garden update yet since our late winter seedling start! Due to some very warm weather, I actually got all the plants in before April 1. I was a little nervous, but decided that I just couldn't pass up the chance to take advantage of the good growing conditions when temperatures were already getting up into the 80s. I figured that if we did get frost, we'd just cover the plants in the ground and bring in the containers. That wasn't necessary, as it turns out.

The containers are doing amazing, owing to their great access to sunshine. We have also done pretty well with the peas on the south side and the cucumbers and peppers I planted along that wall look promising. Can't say the same for the tomatoes and peppers that I put in the backyard. The trees, the fence, and our house just block too much of the sun.

This is the south eastern corner of the deck. We have an abundance of herbs (oregano, mint, rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley) as usual, a tomato plant in the corner, and the new addition of some self-watering "City Picker" planters that are home to an assortment of leafy greens (spinach, kale, lettuce, arugula, chard), pepper plants, and more herbs (lavender, tarragon, more parsley, more basil). These plantars are awesome! I plan on upgrading our tomatoes to these next year so I don't have to worry as much about them when we go away on vacation in the middle of summer.


Here is a tomato plant (or is it a tree?) in the opposite corner. I started three varieties inside and this is one of the beefsteaks.


The southwestern side of the deck has a few more plants as well as our patio furniture and electric grill. One of the plum tomatoes is in the corner and in the foreground is one of two basil plants that survived the transplant from their indoor start. Also you can see the top of of the peach tree. I actually do pick some of the peaches by lying down on the deck and stretching my arm out below the bottom rail. One benefit of urban gardening!


The other variety of tomatoes we started are sweet cherry tomatoes. Look how many are already here! Shouldn't be long now before I'm tasting summer!




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails