Monday, June 18, 2012

Weekend Morsels - June 16-17, 2012


"Princess Coffee"


Our first ripe blueberry!


More on the way



Nick and I had a relaxing weekend, free (for the most part) of house projects.  Even though the kitchen isn't done, we are at a point where we can't move forward until a couple issues are resolved.  Because of this, we opted to enjoy an unexpected little break. 

The first photo is what my coffee looks like on the weekends.  Wearing a rather large crown of milk froth studded with crystals of turbinado sugar, this concoction has been coined "Princess" coffee at our house.  Sometimes I feel like being fancy.

I excitedly picked our first ripe blueberry and noticed that a few others are on their way as well.  We planted three blueberry shrubs three years ago and this is the first harvest.  The progress has been slow and agonizing, but we finally have some fruit!  I have to be mindful that I get out there and pick these before the obnoxiously large population of chipmunks that live under our deck get their grubby little paws on them.

Speaking of shrubs, this hydrangea that I transplanted from another part of the yard is going gangbusters.  I think the puffy, white clouds of flowers look especially attractive as a backdrop to our blue Adirondack chairs.  Incidentally, Nick got me some new chairs for my birthday that are the same bright blue, but will hold up a little better in the elements.  Our current chairs, while pretty to look at, are rather unsafe to sit in due to some deterioration, which ultimately defeats the purpose of a chair.  The new chairs should arrive in about two weeks and I'm quite excited to make the switch.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jaime said...

So jealous you can grow blueberries at all!!! We've been trying for a couple years and never had success.

Jess said...

Hmm, I wonder why? I would think Virginia would be perfect for growing blueberries. We planted three different varieties, bred specifically for our MN climate, and after three years, two of the three are producing small quantities of berries. One still has nothing. Maybe you need a different varietal?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails