Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ski Weekend Crock Pot Cassoulet - March 15, 2010


Cassoulet

I wanted to give you a bit more information on this cassoulet that I made for our Lutsen weekend. Nick is the resident cassoulet maker in this house. He usually likes to make a cassoulet at least once per winter. This year we hadn't made one yet, but a winter weekend up North, planned with friends, seemed like the perfect opportunity to remedy this.

Since we all had various outdoor activities planned and no one wanted to hang out in the rental kitchen all day, we decided it needed to be a crock pot version. This is the recipe I used, found via A Good Appetite. Nick's expectations were low, as he's a bit of a cassoulet purist. He was, however, quite pleased with the outcome, as was I.

I bought my meat at Clancey's and ended up using their house made fennel pollen sausage, (I boiled it a couple of days before so it was cooked through) which was delicious in this recipe. I also used navy beans instead of Great Northern, and they worked out great. I skipped the broiling step and instead Nick made up some toasted bruschetta which we served on the side. I made the full recipe, using two crock pots, for 8 people, who had spent the better part of the day working up big appetites hiking and skiing, and we still have a significant amount left over. In fact, we've had it the last two nights and we have plenty for another meal or two. Not that I'm complaining.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails