Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Gnocchi - Sept 21, 2010


Potato Gnocchi with Simple Tomato Sauce and Fresh Basil

Here in the Midwest, we are in the height of tomato season, while potatoes are also starting to show up, signaling the inevitable transition from summer to fall. I decided to embrace the shift in seasons with this meal. I made the potato gnocchi from scratch, having fun with my thrift-ed potato ricer and using a recipe from The New Basics cookbook. It's a great kitchen reference and has been on Nick's shelf since long before we met. Nick made a simple tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes, onions and a little salt and pepper. That simmered for about 15 minutes before I tossed it into a pan with the cooked gnocchi. I let the sauce and gnocchi inter-mingle over low heat for 3 or 4 minutes and then served it up in pasta bowls with some fresh basil and Pecorino-Romano cheese for garnish.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails