Monday, August 13, 2012

Cold Roasted Beet Salad with Smoked Trout - Aug 1, 2012



Cold, roasted beets are getting quite a bit of play in my summer kitchen.  I wrapped our CSA beets (from both deliveries #6 and #7) in foil and roasted them in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour, a la Mark Bittman.  I let them cool a bit on the counter before chilling them in the refrigerator, all the while leaving them wrapped in their shiny aluminum suits, mind you.  Then, when dinner time rolls around, I simply have to pull one out, unwrap it and remove it's peel, which comes off in my hands quite easily and tidily.

For this dinner, I sliced the beets in narrow cross-sections and layered them in the bowls with fresh basil leaves.  I drizzled olive oil and balsamic vinegar over this and seasoned with salt and pepper.  Next, Nick and I topped our bowls with crumbled feta cheese, roasted walnuts and tinned smoked trout.  This was quick, cool and delicious for a summer supper.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails