Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oatmeal 'FlapJacks' - Feb 25, 2010


FlapJacks (or, perhaps more appropriately, Lumber Jacks)

This dessert post is a day early, but I didn't have anything to post for last night's dinner as we had one of our poached-egg-on-toast creations that I make when I can't think of anything else and that I've posted before, several times. So instead, it's this week's sweet treat. The recipe is from the current issue of Bon Appetit. It sounded interesting and simple, two things that I love rolled into one. According to Ms. Wizenberg's article, these are found all over the British Isles in coffee and tea shops, but are completely different from what Americans refer to as flap jacks. I had to fudge the recipe a bit as, despite the helpful hints, I don't know where I might come across 'golden syrup.' I replaced that ingredient with some grade B maple syrup and decided because of this, lumber jacks were a more appropriate name for what came out of my oven. Whatever you call them, they are delicious, reminiscent of my mom's oatmeal scotchies, but simpler and more maple-y.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails