Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Retro Beef Tacos - April 6, 2010


Hard Shell Beef Tacos

We decided to have a 'retro dinner' last night. It was one of those meals our generation loved as kids, brought back from the past to be enjoyed as much for it's nostalgia as it's tastiness. Nick mentioned to me a few days ago how much he loved hard taco shells and wondered if we could use some sometime instead of the homemade flour variety that we've been using lately. I happened to see a box of just such shells on the shelf at Trader Joe's on Monday and smiled as I put them in my basket, knowing Nick would be pleased. I cooked the ground beef with some sauteed onions and a host of Penzey's spices* that did a pretty good job of mimicking those taco seasoning packets my Mom used to use. Then, in an effort to recreate the memory as accurately as possible, I shredded cheddar cheese and iceberg lettuce (I can't remember the last time I purchased iceberg lettuce). In addition to the cheese and lettuce, we topped with salsa and guacamole and were instantly transported back to our respective family dinner tables, circa 1985.

*Spices include: cumin; coriander; oregano; epazote; smoked Spanish paprika; chili powder; cayenne; cinnamon; salt; pepper; sugar
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh Jess... I'm embarrassed to admit that "Taco Tuesday" is a regular menu on our rotation! And Richie prefers the Taco Bell brand packets to anything original I've ever tried to create, but our local store stopped carrying those packets so I've had to branch out.

Jess said...

Here's to Taco Tuesdays! I love being an 'equal-opportunity foodie.' Nothing is too embarrassing to eat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails