Thursday, November 19, 2009

Roast Squash and Lentil Soup - Nov 18, 2009


Festival Squash Roasted with Butter and Brown Sugar


Lentil Soup with Collard Greens and Bacon

We had both of these for dinner last night and they each were amazingly delectable. This is Nick's favorite way to prepare squash and he's right. It's simple, but the full flavor of the squash comes through, it's creamy sweetness heightened by the butter and brown sugar. The lentil soup is a favorite of mine. I used to fix myself canned lentil soup over rice in my college days and my love of it stems from those cozy meals. Once I found out how easy it was to make from scratch, I've never returned to the canned version. Last night I sauteed onions in olive oil and added a little chopped bacon to the pot to infuse flavor. Then I simply added the lentils and chicken stock, a couple of tablespoons of cumin and two handfuls of chopped collard greens and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes. It's rustic and comforting and oh so good for you.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails